Winnebago County Animal Services has initiated a Working Cat Program for cats better suited for an semi-outdoor lifestyle. If you are able to provide shelter, food, water, and veterinary care, a barn cat or working cat may be for you!
While many of the cats who arrive to WCAS can easily live as indoor only pets, some cats are better suited to a semi-outdoor lifestyle.
These working cats may be feral and not want anything to do with people, or may be semi-social and interactive with their caretakers.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
All cats in the working cat program have been:
- Vaccinated with Rabies and FVRCP which includes rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia (feline distemper or feline parvo)
- Treated with basic dewormers and parasite prevention
- Ear tipped to signify their altered status
WHAT YOU PROVIDE:
- Access to fresh food and water daily
- Veterinary care as needed
- A secure dedicated space to allow the cat to acclimate to its new environment for 2-4 weeks
Individuals interested in caring for a cat from our Working Cat Program will be put onto a list and contacted as soon as a qualifying cat is identified. If you are interested in being added to the WCAS Working Cat Program list, please complete the Working Cat Adoption Questionnaire. Call 815-319-4101 for more information.