Spay / Neuter Assistance Program
Other Services »
Spay & Neuter
Winnebago County, in conjunction with the Greater Rockford
Veterinary Medical Association, offers financial assistance toward
sterilization services for pets whose owners meet certain financial
criteria. Services are provided by the area veterinary hospitals at
a reduced rate for those owners who qualify through Animal
Perhaps you don't qualify under our low-income
guidelines and are looking for other spay neuter resources.
Check out the links at the bottom of this page.
Who is eligible?
- The Pet Population voucher is based on "Low Income WIC
Guidelines" (which means the it is the combined income of the
- Receiving Food Stamps or Social Security Disability Income
(SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Winnebago County residents
- Must bring proof of current rabies vaccination and county
- Only the registered owner can apply for the voucher
- Must bring a state issued identification
How do I prove I am eligible?
- Letter from Illinois Department of Human Services showing
amount of food stamps or SNAP benefits received monthly. Must be
- Letter from federal government showing monthly benefits. Letter
must clearly state that benefits are SSDI or SSI
- Most current W-2's, paycheck stubs, or Federal IRS 1040's of
all income earning household members
What are the out-of-pocket costs for the pet owner?
- The voucher is a $20 co-payment which will cover the
- Animal Services is not obligated to reimburse veterinary
charges for necessary/recommended medical treatment not related to
the sterilization surgery.
***Make sure you check with your veterinarian for
their procedure and process when utilizing the Pet Population
Animal Population Control Program- Illinois Department of
Public Health (IDPH)
The Animal Population Control Program of Illinois is a low-cost
spay/neuter program from Illinois residents. This is a state level
funded program. It is an application process through IDPH found here.
To be eligible you must be:
- Illinois resident
- Own the dog/cat
- Be eligible for Food Stamps or Social Security Disability
You must pay the participating veterinarian a $15 co-pay per
each animal, at the time of surgery. Please contact Illinois
Department of Public Health for more information and for
525 West Jefferson St
Springfield, IL 62761
Other Spay Neuter Resources
Winnebago County Animal Services offers these links as a
resource only and does not endorse any program or clinic or
guarantee their availability, services, or fees.